Various studies have proven that people with strong networks and good mentors enjoy more promotions, higher pay and greater career satisfaction. Yet strong networks are not built overnight. You need to invest time and money at the right networks and events in order to achieve the breadth and depth of connections that can give you these benefits. We all know not all networks are created equal.
How do you do this?
1. Prioritise networking and relationship building. See it as a key part of your career plan.
2. Gain a good balance of peers and influencers within your network. This will require you to step out of your comfort-zone and to seek out events with influencers. These tend to cost a bit more money than your usual networking events, but it is worth it.
3. Learn to reciprocate by offering to help and support people in your network. Don’t be too focused on what you can get out of these relationships.
4. Keep in touch and forge a deeper relationship! This is where you start to turn contacts into mentors, sponsors and champions. They will get to know you and learn more about you, the work you do and your aspirations. This will give them the information needed to act as your sponsors and talk about you positively to their own networks. So they will be a position to put you forward for that once in a lifetime opportunity you may not have come across otherwise.
What’s can be better than working with the support of a network around you, that you enjoy working with and who have your very best interest at heart?
What sort of challenges have you faced when seeking promotion and negotiating better pay? Did you tap into your network to make it happen? We’d like to hear from you.
Did you enjoy this article? Here is what you can do!
- Sign up to become a FREE Member here.
- Please let us know what you think by leaving a comment below.
- Share it with your network - go on, spread the love.
Have you booked your tickets yet? Join us for the International Women's Day celebration on 2nd March in Leeds. Let’s accelerate gender parity and #PressForProgress. BOOK YOUR PLACE HERE